The teenage years are a critical stage in a child’s life, where they are navigating the transition from childhood to adulthood. As parents, we play a pivotal role in helping our teenagers build their character and navigate life’s challenges. One important aspect of their overall health is their dental well-being. Crooked or uneven teeth can hinder their ability to express themselves freely. However, traditional braces may not be appealing to young teens because of their noticeable appearance. So, how can we help our teenagers understand the importance of orthodontic treatment and its impact on their oral health and appearance? That’s where Invisalign for teens comes in.
If you’re looking for an orthodontic treatment alternative to traditional braces, our comprehensive guide may be able to help – with answers to all your questions about Invisalign for teenagers, helpful tips, and expectations. Join us as we explore Invisalign and discover the many benefits it offers, for both teenagers and adults.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign treatment involves a series of clear, removable aligners custom-made to fit the teeth. These aligners are virtually invisible when worn, making them an aesthetically appealing option for teenagers who may not feel comfortable with traditional metal braces.
Similar to adult Invisalign treatment, the aligners for teens are designed to gradually move the teeth into the proper position with gentle pressure. Each set of aligners is worn for about 2 weeks before being replaced with the next set.
Invisalign Treatment: What to Expect
Invisalign treatment begins with an initial consultation with your dentist. This includes a comprehensive oral assessment to determine your child’s eligibility for Invisalign. There are several orthodontic issues, such as lowering or raising teeth position or rotation, that Invisalign may not be able to correct. If your teen is a suitable candidate for Invisalign, your dentist will map out a treatment plan using 3D technology which shows each stage of their smile transformation. Your child’s teeth impressions will be taken to create their customised aligners. Each set of aligners must be worn for 22 hours a day for several weeks before being discarded. At the end of your treatment, your child will be given clear retainers to help cement their newly straightened smile into place.
Invisalign treatment can take as less as four months to over eighteen months. The time varies for each patient depending on their specific case. For some patients, additional attachments may be required. These are small tooth-coloured dots permanently bonded on the teeth to exert additional pressure. Invisalign also offers a mandibular advancement feature to correct bite issues. This includes wings located on the top and bottom of the clear aligners between the molars and premolars. These wings help with jaw placement to fix bite problems.
Benefits of Invisalign for Teens
Invisalign offers several benefits for teenagers compared to traditional braces. Here are some of the advantages of Invisalign for teens:
Because of their discreet appearance, Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible when worn. This makes them an attractive option for teens who may not want the visible glint of metal on their teeth when they smile, talk, or eat.
Invisalign aligners are removable, providing teenagers with more flexibility and convenience. They can easily remove the aligners when eating, brushing, and flossing, allowing for better oral hygiene compared to traditional braces. This means teenagers can maintain their regular oral care routine and enjoy their favourite foods without restrictions.
Fewer Dentist Visits
Invisalign aligners are custom-made and provided in sets, usually given every few weeks, reducing the need for frequent adjustments.
Invisalign aligners are made from smooth and comfortable plastic material. Unlike traditional braces that may cause irritation or discomfort due to wires and brackets, Invisalign aligners have no sharp edges. Although there may be some initial adjustment and mild pressure when transitioning to a new set of aligners, the overall comfort level is generally higher.
For teenagers who participate in sports or play musical instruments, Invisalign aligners can be temporarily removed during these activities, providing more freedom and flexibility.
Visual Treatment Planning
Invisalign utilises advanced 3D imaging technology to create a digital treatment plan. This allows teenagers to see a virtual representation of their predicted tooth movements and final results before starting the treatment. The visual aspect helps them understand the process and get excited about their orthodontic journey.
Invisalign Teen: Tips for Parents
Even though Invisalign may be an excellent treatment for teeth misalignments, it requires consistency and responsibility to work. If you’re opting for Invisalign for your teen, some of these tips may be able to help you ensure that your child’s treatment is successful:
- Ensure your kid wears the aligners for 22 hours a day or the treatment can take longer. Utilise the optional special built-in assurance feature for Invisi Teens. The aligners come with blue dot indicators to keep track of how many hours the appliance is worn.
- During the initial stages of each new aligner set, your teenager may experience some discomfort or pressure as their teeth adjust. Offer support and reassurance during these adjustment periods, reminding them that any temporary discomfort will subside as their teeth adapt.
- While Invisalign aligners are removable for eating, encourage your teenager to make healthy food choices to support overall oral health. Remind them to remove the aligners before consuming any food or beverages, except for water, and to thoroughly clean their teeth before reinserting them.
- Keep an eye on your teenager’s aligner wear and progress. Ensure they are advancing through the aligner series as scheduled, and notify your dentist if any issues or concerns arise. Regularly scheduled check-up appointments are essential to monitor progress and make any necessary adjustments.
- Help your teenager establish a routine for storing their aligners when not in use. Provide a designated case to prevent loss or damage and encourage them to carry it wherever they go. Remind them to keep the case clean and to avoid placing the aligners in napkins or pockets where they could be misplaced or accidentally thrown away.
- Teach your teenager proper aligner care, such as cleaning them regularly using a soft toothbrush and mild soap or Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- Emphasise the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing their teeth thoroughly after each meal before reinserting the aligners.
- Acknowledge and celebrate your teenager’s progress throughout their Invisalign journey. Whether it’s completing a set of aligners or reaching a specific treatment milestone, praise their commitment and effort. Positive reinforcement can help keep them motivated and engaged in the process.
Align Your Smile Your Way with Invisalign
Invisalign combines the benefits of convenience, comfort, and aesthetics for a straighter, more beautiful smile. If you’re exploring orthodontic treatments for your teen, talk to our Fremantle dentists. We offer a range of treatment options, including clear braces and aligners, including Invisalign for teens and personalised treatment plans tailored to your child’s dental requirements with friendly support and guidance throughout their oral health journey. Book a consultation today.